12 Gate to the dyers’ quarter

Artisan quarters along the Mühlbach were already developing outside the market moats in the 16th century. East of Ludwigsplatz, fish mongers, butchers, dyers and tanners utilised the waters and built up a correlated artisan suburb here. It was connected to the market via the small dyers’ or tanners’ gate. Before it medieval Rosenheim had only three access points from outside – Münchener Tor, Inntor and Wiesentor on today’s Kaiserstraße. Single gable roofs characterised the look of Färberstraße in contrast to the construction style in the city centre, typical of towns on the river Inn. Fires and floods destroyed significant parts of the structure here time and again. The centre and south rows of buildings were ultimately rebuilt entirely after the fire of 1847. To this day the centre row with its segmental windows and the steep gable roofs still bears witness to the late Biedermeier building style of the day. The Färbertor (dyers’ gate) stood here until 1873.

Address, location: Färberstraße 17